Banana & Walnut Muffins
October 4th, 2019
These banana nut muffins are full of yummy walnuts which are a good source of tryptophan, the amino acid that helps make serotonin and melatonin and may support you with getting a better night’s sleep. The muffins also have plenty of magnesium in them, thanks to the bananas, to help promote relaxation and good sleep. All topped with a crunchy oat and nut topping!
3 over ripe bananas
120g plain flour
120g plain wholemeal flour or buckwheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
60g chopped walnuts, plus extra to sprinkle on top
120 ml melted coconut oil or butter
120 ml maple syrup or honey
2 tbsp of oats, to sprinkle
1 tbsp of brown sugar, to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
2. In a large bowl, mash the 3 bananas. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil until smooth.
3. In another bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
4. Fold the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients until combined. Stir through the walnuts.
5. Fill each muffin case 2/3rds of the way full. Sprinkle some oats, brown sugar and walnuts on the top.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove and either serve warm, or allow to cool completely.