Getting used to your bed
Chances are that the springs and upholstery in your old bed were not what they used to be, so your new bed may seem a little strange at first. Please allow time for your body to adjust to your new bed and for the fillings to settle.
Filling settlement is normal
Due to modern day fillings being more sumptuous than their predecessors, settlement within your mattress should be expected and is perfectly normal. Your new mattress is zoned to complement the human body and it is the underlying support system that ensures you are offered optimum support in the zoned areas.Some settlement in the filling layers is perfectly normal and there is no need for concern.
The main causes for settlement are attributed to:
• Extra pressure in areas where body weight is most pronounced.
• Body heat and moisture, which can escalate settlement and slow down the recovery process of the fillings.
An acceptable level of settlement on a Sealy mattress is up to 3.5cm, anything above this would be considered ‘faulty’. However, there are a number of contributing factors which may affect the level of settlement:
• Stature and weight of sleeper(s)
• Frequency of rotating/turning the mattress
• Period of use the mattress has experienced
• Specification of mattress, i.e. we would expect to see more settlement in a luxurious pillowtop mattress than a firm hand tufted mattress
Ensuring that your mattress is cared for properly may help to reduce settlement:
• Only use your mattress with a suitable base – one which will provide adequate support e.g. with slatted bed frames the slat widths should be 10cm and the gap between them no more than 7.5 cm.
• If your mattress is double sided please turn and rotate it ‘top-to-toe’ regularly.
• If your mattress is single sided rotate your mattress ‘top-to-toe’ so that settlement from body pressures are evenly distributed.
As with any soft furnishing product, your mattress will start to show settlement after several months of use. Whilst fillings may settle over time, the support system within your mattress will ensure that you receive many years of comfort from your mattress.
New mattress smell
It’s quite normal for new mattresses to have a slight odour when unpackaged. This is nothing to worry about and by airing the mattress you will find that any odours will pass. We recommend you air your mattress daily by pulling the bed covers back.
Turn and rotate your mattress regularly
Most of our mattresses are now non-turn, single-sided so they only require rotating from end to end, which we would recommend that you do at least twice a month during the first year of use, then once a month thereafter. This will minimise natural settlement and maximise the comfort life of your mattress.
Under no circumstances should the underside of the mattress be used as a sleeping surface.
Double-sided mattress should be rotated and turned at least twice a month during the first year of use, then once a month thereafter. This will minimise natural settlement and maximise the comfort life of your mattress.
Protect your mattress
We recommend that you use a breathable mattress cover, which will protect it from coming into contact with body moisture or other liquids.
Using an electric blanket
All Sealy mattresses are suitable for use with an electric blanket. We recommend you follow any instructions and safety precautions provided by the electric blanket manufacturer. Sealy cannot be liable for any issues that relate to the electric blanket.
Do not use detergents or chemical cleaners
Using detergents or chemical cleaners on your mattress may damage the fabric and stitching.
Do not bend or roll your mattress
Please don’t bend or roll your mattress as this will damage it and invalidate the guarantee.
Do not overload divan drawers
If your bed has drawers, they have been designed to take lightweight items only. Excessive weight can cause distortion or damage to the drawers. Overfilling them may cause them to jam.
• Mini drawers - 7kg.
• Standard drawers - 15kg.
• Our Ottoman beds have a maximum fill weight of 40kg and this should be spread evenly.
Explore our range of mattresses
We believe in making sleep simple. Browse our range of mattresses to find your perfect match.